Earache And Oregano Oil
Earache is the condition where pain is felt in one or both ears. It can be an occasional thing, but when the
pain is always there an underlying cause might be the culprit. There are many reasons for earache and some are not
related to the ear at all. If the pain is caused by an ear problem, it is probably due to the blockage of the
passageway or Eustachian tube.
When fluid and air cannot freely flow in this tube, the pressure will build up in the ear, resulting in pain. A
more serious condition results if the fluid at the back of the eardrum becomes infected with bacteria or with a
virus. The middle ear section will be infected which can cause fever and pain.
Other Causes of Earache
Some of the things that can cause earache are the following:
• Inflammation of the ear canal – caused by an infection, and commonly called “swimmer’s ear”.
• Infection of the ear lobe and the external part of the ear.
• Neuralgia – or the type of pain due to the irritation of the ear nerves.
• Pain from the jaw bone or from a sore throat can sometimes translate into earache.
The pain from an earache is described as a feeling of pressure in the ear. It may
be felt suddenly or it can start gradually. The pain could also be severe. Following are the usual symptoms:
• Not feeling well
• Loss of hearing
In the case of children, some of the signs may include irritability, pulling of the ear and fever.
The typical treatments for earaches are the following:
• For mild pain – taking of over-the-counter pain relievers.
• Placing a warm heating pad on the ear will also give relief from pain.
• Taking decongestants and antihistamine if the Eustachian tube is blocked.
• Doctor’s intervention – if the pain does not subside after 2 to 3 days of using the above treatments,
antibiotics are usually prescribed.
However, the prolonged use of pain relievers is not recommended by doctors, as it can lead to adverse
side effects which can sometimes lead to renal failure. Antibiotics are also known to produce negative side
effects. Thankfully, there is a powerful agent, made of 100% natural substances that can stop the infection and
relieve the pain at the same time, without leaving any side effects. This very potent and beneficial product is
The Nature of Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is the essential oil extracted from the leaves of the Mediterranean wild oregano plant, Origanum
vulgare. This wild plant has been widely used throughout ancient Greece and its environs to treat common
ailments. Today, modern scientists have found, through numerous experiments and studies, that the oil extracted
from this plant possesses powerful chemical substances that can be used to fight harmful microorganisms.
These potent chemical compounds include flavonoids, phytochemicals and phenols, which act as germ-killers. The
most powerful of all these substances are carvacrol and thymol. But of the two, carvacrol is most effective to
those who are suffering from earache. A greater amount of carvacrol is found in oregano oil, which is about 60 to
80% of its composition.
Scientists have found that carvacrol can function as an anti-inflammatory agent and an effective pain killer. It
is now being used to treat arthritis because of its ability to control inflammation and pain. In fact, there are
medical experts who regard carvacrol as an effective pain killer which has the same effect as morphine. Therefore
if your earache is caused by inflammation, oregano oil can be used to control it and relieve the pain associated
Oregano oil can also strengthen your immune system enabling your body to effectively defend itself from
any number of infections. This oil contains significant amounts of vitamins, minerals and important trace
elements important to the healthy functioning of your body.
Oregano Oil for Earache
You can use this oil topically to relieve your earache. This is
one way of doing it:
• Get 2 tablespoons of oregano oil and mix it with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Put this
mixture in a dropper.
• Put 3 drops of this mixture in a cotton ball.
• Rub the cotton ball on the outer part of the affected ear, underneath the crevices of the ear and behind
it as well. Then throw this used cotton ball away.
• In a fresh cotton ball, put another 3 drops of oregano oil mixture. Make sure that it is not
over-saturated with oil.
• Place this cotton ball at the entrance of your affected ear. See to it that it won’t enter your ear. Let
it stay there for the next 3 hours.
• After 3 hours, remove the cotton ball and apply another 3 drops of the oil mixture to it and rub it on
your outer ear.
• Get another cotton ball and place another 3 drops of the oil mixture and place it at the entrance of
• Keep repeating this procedure until your earache is gone.
By using oregano oil as aromatherapy, you can also relieve your earache. It is believed that inhaling oregano
oil’s essence is as effective as using morphine to relieve the pain. To do this, put 10 drops of oregano oil in an
essential oil diffuser and light a candle. Keep on refilling the diffuser as required.